Varsity Boys Cannot Make Early Lead Stand Up

Varsity Boys Cannot Make Early Lead Stand Up
Posted on 03/27/2019
Varsity Boys Cannot Make Early Lead Stand Up

The Flatbush Varsity Boys Indoor Soccer Team was outscored 4-1 in the pivotal second quarter, and the Falcons could not overcome the deficit, dropping a 12-9 decision to the visiting Heschel Heat on Wednesday night (3/27) at the Falcons Nest in Brooklyn, NY.

 Michael Soussan flies high

The Varsity Falcons entered the game still riding high after their biggest road win in perhaps forever (having won in overtime at MTA), and they wanted to build on the momentum of that huge victory. It took less than three seconds for Flatbush to set a positive tone, with Michael Soussan driving home a blast off the opening tap. A minute later Abie Soussan doubled the Flatbush tally. Heschel soon got one back, but Abie answered from right on the Heat doorstep. With just 4 minutes gone Flatbush was in front 3-1.

Soussan flicks the ball

Jack Zeitouny had been solid in goal to that point, but a few defensive lapses allowed the Heat to pull even at 4-4, with the last two goals being set up by Zeitouny clears up the middle of the court. Sol Laniado put Flatbush back in the lead with a touch from inside the Heschel crease. The score stood 5-4 Flatbush with 1:35 to go, when The tenor of the game took a southward swing. One of the tables recessed into the wall came loose from its moorings when it was struck by a Heat shot. It fell on top of Flatbush defenseman Nathan Sidaoui, who took the brunt of the blow while shielding it from striking his Heschel opponent as well. After a long delay, Sidaoui would leave to the hospital (he suffered a lacerated forehead and slight concussion) and the final minute and a half of the opening period played out, leaving, Flatbush in front 5-4, but down a significant part of their starting defensive rotation.

 Nathan Sidaoui defends

At the start of the second quarter, Laniado nearly added to the lead with a header off a rebound that took an amazing save from the Heat keeper to stop. Flatbush carried the play, with Michael Soussan blasting away at the Heschel goal. But, the Falcons had nothing new to show for it. Three minutes later, it was Heschel that maneuvered the Falcon defense out of position and scored the equalizer. The Heat keeper made another outstanding stop on Soussan, and flipped the court, with a Heat teammate one-timing the ball into the Flatbush goal. Heschel has their first lead of the night at 6-5. Flatbush had great looks, but had lost their luck. Where the shots in the first have eluded the defense, now they were right on the goalie or just wide of the net. With 2:22 to play Laniado connected on a feed from Abie Soussan and got Flatbush even, but the Falcons gave the lead right back moments later. Heschel got their first bit of breathing room with 33 seconds to play in the opening half. On the heels of a defensively dominating second quarter, Heschel now held an 8-6 lead at the half.

 Flatbush defense attack denied
Laniado scores

Three minutes in to half number two, Flatbush gave up another goal, to which Abie Soussan immediately responded off the ensuing tap. Heschel would add two more goals, while their own keeper denied the Falcons for the remainder of the quarter. With one period left to play, the Heat were even further out in front, 11-7.

 Laniado nearly scores

One quarter remained. Abie Soussan called vociferously for the ball, and as soon as it found its way to him, he put a nifty move on the defender and drove the ball inside the far post for Flatbush’s 8th score.

Abie Soussan on the move

The Falcons were looking to make a comeback, but their chances took a blow when Michael Soussan stopped the game at the 12:02 mark with a lower leg injury. Thankfully, it was not serious and Soussan was back on the court a minute later. However, it was Heschel that got the next goal, and again Flatbush trailed by 4. Michael Soussan got that goal right back as he would not be denied with a blast from five feet in front of the goal. But, time was running out on a comeback. With 4:49 to play, Flatbush Head Coach Eli Amzalag called for a timeout, looking to get one final strong push from his boys in the hopes of pulling off some late game magic. Unfortunately, there would be no magic. Flatbush could get no closer. The clock ran out and Heschel left with a 12-9 win.

 Team with Coach Amzalag defending until the end

NEST NOTES: The loss drops the Varsity falcons to 3-2 on the season with three games remaining. They will look to stay above the .500 mark when they step back out on the court tomorrow night, March 28, taking on the Ramaz Rams on the road. Game time is set for 7:00 pm on the campus of the Manhattan school.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.Staff Website Login