Second-Half Comeback Falls Short

Second-Half Comeback Falls Short
Posted on 03/07/2019
Second-Half Comeback Falls Short

The Flatbush Boys Varsity Indoor Soccer Team dropped their home opener on Thursday night (3/7) when the MTA Lions withstood a third-quarter push by the host Falcons that closed the deficit to two points before regaining control to top Flatbush by a final score of 10-5 at the Falcons Nest in Brooklyn, NY.

 Abie Soussan uses his head

It was a tough first half for the Varsity Falcons. Sol Laniado scored for the home squad, but it was the only tally of the half for Flatbush. Meanwhile, the Lions of MTA rang up six goals in the half to establish solid control of the contest by halftime.


Flatbush used the intermission to regroup, and they came out attacking. The Falcons struck twice in the opening minutes of the second half, the first off the foot of Charles Haddad and the next via a midcourt shot from Abie Soussan. The Lions answered with a tapper that was misplayed by Flatbush Keeper Jack Zeitouny in front of the Flatbush goal. The Falcons regrouped, and Soussan got another goal which was followed shortly thereafter by Laniado’s second goal of the game. With 1/3 of the period left to play, the score was now 7-5, and the leading Lions were back on their heels. Meanwhile, Zeitouny stepped up his play, making a pair of spectacular stops. With two minutes to play, MTA drilled the ball into the net for a 3-goal advantage. With one quarter left to play, Flatbush had closed the deficit, but MTA had taken Flatbush’s toughest punch and remained standing, leading the much closer contest by a score of 8-5.

 Charles Haddad Scores
Soussan celebrates Laniado celebrates

Three minutes in to the final quarter, it looked like Haddad got Flatbush back to two down, but the officials waved off the blast that landed in the back of the net, ruling that Haddad had slid into the crease to contact the ball which is a violation (according to the officials). Flatbush had another great chance when Soussan centered a pass for Laniado, but the Lion keeper made an amazing save to deny the falcon striker. With under 6 minutes to play, it was the Lions that rung up the next two scores, virtually salting away the game. True to Falcons form, the hosts never stopped attacking. Soussan nearly scored on two more quality chances, one hitting off the crossbar, and then Laniado was stopped by a post. In the end, the Falcons comeback just ran out of gas. MTA came away with the hard-fought 10-5 win.

Laniado nearly scores
 Soussan hits the bar defense

Afterwards, a very proud Head Coach Eli Amzalag had nothing but praise for his boys. “[MTA] is perhaps the top team in the league, a power every year, and we went toe–to-toe with them in the second half. It is the best showing the team has had against MTA in years. I am confident we will continue to improve as the season moves along.”


NEST NOTES: The Varsity Falcons will have a chance to get back on the winning track (they opened the season with road win over Magen David by the score of 9-5) and to exact some revenge when they travel to upper Manhattan for a rematch with these same MTA Lions on Thursday, March 14. The ball will be put in play at 8:00 pm.

Varsity Seniors

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.Staff Website Login