MD Hockey Advances with Win in Overtime Classic

MD Hockey Advances with Win in Overtime Classic
Posted on 02/11/2019
MD Hockey Advances with Win in Overtime Classic

The Flatbush Middle Division Hockey team extended their season with a fantastic finish on Monday night (2/11), defeating the host HAFTR Hawks in the opening round of the MYJHHL Playoffs with 2:53 left in the first overtime period by a score of 4-3 in Lawrence, NY.


HAFTR and Flatbush could not be more even, having equal records on the season. It was an earlier season victory by HAFTR over the Falcons that earned them the home game. But, Flatbush headed east with revenge on their minds. It would take singular focus and great effort from Coach Joey Habert’s boys to pull off the upset.
The first period saw the teams play spirited but even hockey for over 6 minutes of play. 20 second later, it would be the host Hawks that would get on the board first, finally getting the puck into the Falcon net. Flatbush lifted their play, and with just over a minute left in the first period, Joe Gindi pulled the Falcons even with a drive that beat the HAFTR keeper. At the 1st intermission, the teams were back even at 1-1.

 Save! Gindi Scores

The second period was almost a repeat of the first. The teams played intense up and down hockey. HAFTR got a goal with just under 5 minutes to play in the period, and Joe Gindi answered again for Flatbush, lifting a great centering pass over the HAFTR goalie for another equalizer. Meanwhile, Morris Hanon made big save after big save for the Falcons to preserve the tie. At the 2nd intermission, the teams were again even, 2-2.

 Gindi Scores Again Celebrate the goal

The third period provided a twist with Flatbush getting the next goal, taking the lead on a most quirky play. Flatbush was on the power play, and put a solid shot on goal that was defended by the Hawk goalie. But while attempting to clear the zone, the HAFTR defender swing and missed. However, he connected with the puck on his backswing, knocking it over the shoulder of his keeper! It was an own goal, but it put Flatbush in the lead for the first time all night. The Falcons needed to just keep the crease clear and defend for 4:20 and they would advance. It would not be so easy, though. With 1:25 left to play in regulation, Hanon left a very juicy rebound to his left. The Flatbush defense could not clear the puck and the Hawks pounced on it. And, when the clock hit 0:00 the game was tied once again. An extra period would be needed to decide who would advance. For a pair of teams that were even all season long, what else could be expected!

 Own Goal

The overtime saw absolutely phenomenal play from both goalies. Hanon made an amazing save at 8:41 of the overtime period, and again a few minutes later. Both teams had power play opportunities, but neither could make them count. Then, with the clock under 3 minutes, Flatbush prevented the Hawks from clearing the zone. The ball moved out from the corner, and with the flick of the wrist, the Falcons sent the ball on net from about 25 feet out. It caught the Hawk keeper off guard and found its way home. GOAL! The Flatbush players swarmed the floor as the exhausted and dejected Hawks headed to their bench. The Falcons earned a hard-fought 4-3 overtime win, scoring with 2:53 left in overtime.

 he shoots . . . he scores!
traditional handshake

NEST NOTES: The win advances the Falcons to the next round of the MYJHHL Playoffs where they must wait for a number of the other playoff games to be played before they learn who they will face.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.Staff Website Login