JV Boys Knock off the Rust

JV Boys Knock off the Rust; Eke Out Win in Tune-Up Friendly
Posted on 01/31/2019

The Flatbush JV Boys Basketball team showed the rust of a near month-long layoff from head-to-head competition on Thursday night (1/31/19), but shook it off by the end of the game to prevail in a close contest with the Heschel Heat by the score of 51-50 at the Falcons Nest in Brooklyn, NY.

 Morris Dweck

At the outset, the Falcons were effective at beating the Heat press, but their shooting touch was slower in coming around, getting on the board with a Morris Dweck lay in nearly 2 and a half minutes in to make it a 5-2 ballgame. Irwin Azar got back-to-back scores on a solid three followed by a floater in the lane to cut the deficit to one five minutes into the game. A Dweck three gave Flatbush its first lead of the game. But, Heschel came right back with an inside hoop to tie the score at 10-10. A Nathan Shabot lay in with the clock winding down gave the hosts a 13-12 lead at the end of one.

 Aaron Vilinsky

Five quick points from Dweck on the first two possessions opened up a 6-point lead a minute into the second quarter. Flatbush had a chance to push the lead to 8, but missed on a short jumper in the lane. Heschel scores the next 7 points to take the lead, before David Cattan hit on a pair of free throws to put the Falcons back up, 20-19. Flatbush tightened up the defense, with Teddy Hara altering shots underneath and on the perimeter. Morris Chaaya connected from distance with a minute left in the half to give Flatbush its largest lead yet at 7 points. Hara added a pair of free throws in the final five seconds, extending the lead further. At the half, Flatbush was in front, 29-21.

 Nathan Shabot Teddy Hara

Flatbush scored on the first possession of the second half. The Falcon coaching staff took advantage of the scrimmage nature of the contest to work everyone into the game, mixing the units for the home team. As a result, with three plus minutes gone, Heschel cut the lead to four. Remy Zhoni responded with a jumper to make it a 35-29 game. With the gap closed the three and the ball in the Heat’s hands, Aaron Vilinsky came up with a rejection on the block to take the ball back for the Falcons. Flatbush could not capitalize, though, and with under two minutes in the quarter, Heschel pulled even at 37-37. Flatbush continued to struggle and soon were trailing by three. Steven Chetrit’s traditional three point play pulled Flatbush even with seconds left to play. The defense looked to have made a big stop, but the ball came loose and Heschel put the ball in, taking a 42-40 lead into the final quarter of play.

Steven Chetrit

Chetrit played solidly on the defensive end, and Lawrence Dweck swished a three to cut the deficit to one with almost half the final period gone. A Shabot drive to the rim took the lead back for Flatbush, and he repeated the feat on the next possession after a big defensive stop. Flatbush held a 47-44 lead with 3:08 to play and Heschel wanted timeout to regroup. Flatbush got a stop, but could not turn it into points on offense. Heschel then hit a three to tie with a minute to play. Shabot answered with a jumper to go up two. Heschel responded, scoring on a drive, drew a foul and hit the free throw to go up 50-49 with 26.5 seconds to play. The ball was now in the Falcons court. With time clicking away, the ball came to Hara at the top of the key. He took it and penetrated the lane, elevated and released the ball. It fell through to take back the lead with 7 seconds to play. Heschel had one final chance. They got the shooter they wanted, but the Falcons put on the pressure. The shot glanced off and into the hands of a Heat player under the basket. He went up with the game winner - but the buzzer sounded moments before he released the ball. No basket, was the call. Final score: 51-50 Flatbush!

Elation! Defense Holds
Final Score

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.Staff Website Login